Great Expectations serves foster care and former foster care youth, ages 17-24, by providing a stable platform from which students may build.
View a Great Expectations video
To learn more about Great Expectations, its students, and its results, visit the website.
WHERE IS THE GREAT EXPECTATIONS PROGRAM LOCATED?
Learning Resource Center (LRC), 2nd floor, room 212 at Patrick Henry Community College at 645 Patriot Avenue, Martinsville, VA.
Great Expectations is part of the Developmental Education and Transitional Programs Department.
WHAT IS THE GREAT EXPECTATIONS PROGRAM?
A college transition program designed to help young adults (17-24 years old) who are or were recently affiliated with the foster care system. Goals of the program include:
• To help young adults transition into college
• To increase awareness about the value and availability of a college education
• To assist students and service providers with accessing and successfully navigating the community college system
WHAT SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE THROUGH THIS PROGRAM?
• Assistance with choosing an academic plan of study and college enrollment
• Instruction and support throughout the financial aid process
• Monitoring of academic progress and assistance with accessing college support services
• Referrals to college and community resources for academic and personal issues
• Career assessment and job placement assistance
• Individual support to assist students in setting goals and providing the necessary support to reach those goals and increase the likelihood of a successful future
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE GREAT EXPECTATIONS PROGRAM?
Individuals between the ages of 17 – 24 who are or were affiliated with the Virginia foster care system who are interested in obtaining a college education and workforce readiness skills.
HOW DO I GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE GREAT EXPECTATIONS PROGRAM?
Contact Christy Spencer, Campus Coach for Great Expectations
PHONE: (276) 656-0224
FAX: (276) 656-0332
Or, visit the Great Expectations website.