Mission Statement: To create positive peer culture, facilitate maximum learning and retain and support program participants through high school graduation and assist them in entering college.
The PHCC Upward Bound Program is funded through a Federal Grant of $250,000 per year. The grant is from the US Department of Education under Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act - Title IV: TRIO Programs - Upward Bound. This program is authorized to serve 60 students in specific target schools in the city of Martinsville and the counties of Henry and Patrick.
The Upward Bound project provides year-round educational intervention programs including weekly after-school meetings, college visitations, cultural activities, and the mandated six-weeks summer program for all participants.
There are no participation costs for selected students. Students are expected to maintain a 2.5 grade point average and complete a minimum of two consecutive Summers on the PHCC campus.
Upward Bound Academic Year: During the school year, advisors and tutors will be in contact with participants, teachers, counselors, and parents. Several counseling visits will be conducted with participants at local high schools.
- Improve English & Math skills
- Complete college applications
- Prepare for college entrance exams
- Gain information about educational opportunities
- Visit local colleges
- Fill out college financial aid forms
Upward Bound Summer: Sixty qualified applicants will be chosen as Upward Bound participants and will be invited to attend a six week Summer Institute at PHCC where they will:
- Take academic classes at Patrick Henry Community College
- Participate in career exploration
- Enroll in stimulating electives such as second language, computers, lab science, and study skills
- Gain exposure through cultural activities, field trips, and college visits
Stipends: Students receive a monthly stipend based on their participation in activities as both an incentive and as recognition of their committed involvement in Upward Bound.
Who may apply to Upward Bound? Enrollment in the program is limited to 60 students who meet the following requirements:
- Student must be in 9th, or 10th grade at the time of application
- Student must attend Martinsville HS, a Henry County HS, or Patrick County HS
- Student must be a U.S. citizen or national or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Student must show the potential and motivation to be successful in education beyond high school by having at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average
- Students' family income does not exceed guidelines established by the federal government and or/
- Student's parent(s) have not earned a bachelor's degree.
How to apply? Interested students may acquire an "Application of Interest" in one of three ways. The Application of Interest will help determine eligibility to participate in the program. Once a student is determined to be eligible, a full application packet will be mailed.
- Download and print the application.
- Contact Upward Bound at PHCC in the Walker Fine Arts Student Center
- Contact your high school guidance counselor