Emergency Medical Services - Philpott Hall Room 126 Kari Whitney, EMS Coordinator (276)656-0328 Advising by Appointment.:
Nursing/Health Careers - Philpott Hall room 109 you can receive advising for Associate Degree Nursing, RN - BSN, Practical Nursing, Therapeutic Massage, Health Science Certificate (Pre-Allied Health Careers), Nurse Aide, & Pharmacy Technician. Please come to the nursing office to see Susan Selman, Health Career Advisor, (276-656-0282) or Amy Webster, Program Head for Nursing & Health Sciences (276-656-0248) for advising &/or registration for classes
Nursing & Health Sciences Pre-Fall advising: begins Monday, July 14th. (see open advising hours posted below)
Registration for Fall classes begins on Friday, August 1st. Fall semester classes begin on Monday, August 25th.
|Wed-Aug 20||FRITH Building 9am-6pm|
|Thurs-Aug 21||FRITH Building 9am-6pm|
|Fri-Aug 22||9am-Noon; 1 - 5pm PHILPOTT 123|
|Mon-Aug 25||Fall Classes BEGIN 9am-Noon; 1 - 5pm|
|Tues-Aug 26||9am-Noon; 1 - 5pm|
|Wed-Aug 27||9am-Noon; 1 - 5pm|
Mon Patrick Henry Community College Associate Degree Nursing Program is approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing 9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300 Henrico, VA 23233; (404) 975--5000.
Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3342 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850 Atlanta, Georgia 30326
NURSING & EMS APPLICATION PERIODS
Admission to core nursing classes and the EMS-Paramedic is by application. Applications are accepted during the published application times ONLY. See below for more information.
- EMS/Paramedic - Application period endedMay 31, 2014. Classes will begin in August 2014. For information about the application process or for questions about the application, please contact Kari Whitney, EMS Program Director Office: (276)656-0328 Fax: (276)656-0261
- RN - The next application period will be September 29 - October 3, 2014 for the class that will begin in January 2015. Applications are available HERE or on the door of the Nursing office (Philpott room 123) Reminder: There is no waiting list - applicants who were not accepted during the last application period need to re-apply if they are still interested.
- LPN - RN Transition The next application period for LPN's interested in applying to the RN program will be October 2015 for the class that will begin in January 2016. Interested LPN's need to have completed the pre-requisites for the RN program at the time of application & have the following general education courses completed prior to starting the program in August 2014: ENG 111, BIO 231, PSY 230, & SDV 108. Please contact the nursing office for more information.
- LPN: Main Campus - The next application period for admission to the Practical Nursing program on the main PHCC campus will be held February 23 - February 27, 2015. Applicants who meet the pre-requisites (see FAQ's for PN) & pass the pre-admission test will start classes in August 2015 & graduate in December 2016.
It is very important for all students who are interested in a Nursing, EMS, or a Health Science Career to see one of our advisors for assistance in planning their academic course sequence each semester.
Prior to coming in for advising, please follow the steps listed below:
Apply to be a student @ PHCC - free and on-line* (*If not currently enrolled)
Take the College Placement Test* (*If a student has not had previous college level math and/or english)
Have official transcripts from any college attended (including all VCCS schools other than PHCC) sent to the Office of Admissions & Records located in the Walker Building
If interested in applying for financial aid, students will need to contact the Financial Aid Office .
Students interested in the RN or the LPN program should bring a copy of their High School transcript with them when they meet with an advisor.
#1 - Students interested in the RN program need to understand that BIO 231/232 is a graduation requirement & does NOT satisfy the two pre-requisite sciences (Biology & Chemistry) necessary for admission to the program. Biology & Chemistry must be completed with a grade of "C" or better at the time of application. Students are encouraged to bring their high school transcript to the nursing office PRIOR to enrolling in BIO 231.
#2 - Students interested in the Practical Nursing Certificate program need to understand that NAS 150 is a graduation requirement & does NOT satisfy the pre-requisite science necessary for admission to the program.
BOTH THE Associate Degree Nursing (RN) and Practical Nursing (LPN) Certificate require a pre-admission test as part of the admission requirements. This test is administered once or twice a year after application periods specific to each program.
NCLEX-RN & NCLEX-PN Pass Rates are calculated based on the graduate's first testing attempt & reflect the previous semester enrollment.
Health Science Information Links
Transition LPN to RN Advising Spreadsheet
Therapeutic Massage The core massage classes are taught in a 3 semester sequence. The new cycle will begin Fall semester 2015.
Online Resources for Career Information: these websites include information about many different career fields.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Explore Health Careers
- Diving Into Health Careers
- My Next Move
- Sloan Career Cornerstone Center
- America’s Career InfoNet
Generally, you can expect the web content maintained by reputable professional organizations to be reliable. Weddle’s Professional Association Directory provides links to professional associations organized by industry and career field. Professional association websites usually have a career information section or resources for students.