December 2014 Associate Degree Nursing Graduates
Emergency Medical Services - Philpott Hall Room 126 Kari Whitney, EMS Coordinator (276)656-0328 Advising by Appointment.: EMS/Paramedic application period is March 6 - May 15, 2015. Applications can be downloaded from the link below under "Nursing & EMS Application Periods." Please contact Kari Whitney for addional information.
Nursing/Health Careers - Philpott Hall room 123 you can receive advising for Associate Degree Nursing, RN - BSN, Practical Nursing, Therapeutic Massage, Health Science Certificate (Pre-Allied Health Careers), Nurse Aide, & Pharmacy Technician. Please come to the nursing office to see Susan Selman, Health Career Advisor, (276-656-0282) or Amy Webster, Program Head for Nursing & Health Sciences (276-656-0248) for advising &/or registration for classes.
Reminder: Last day to apply for May graduation is April 2nd. See the "How to Graduate" link under "Current Students."
Attention recent RN applicants:
- Information about the RN program can be found under "Health Science Information Links."
- Information about pre-admission testing can be found under "Pre-Admission Testing Practice."
- A "Chemistry Review Session" for the HESI pre-admission test will be held on Wednesday, April 8th from 5 - 6pm in West Hall room 127.
- Math review for HESI is offered in the math lab with Sam Prillaman, Math Lab Manager. Please stop by the math lab located in the LRC room 108 to schedule an appointment.
For RN-BSN Information at area colleges & universities ( RN-BSN links Sept 2014). This handout provides links to the RN-BSN webpages for each listed school.
ADVISING HOURS (Open advising hours do not require an appointment)
|Day||OPEN Advising Hours|
9am - Noon; 1pm - 5pm
|Tues-Mar 24||9am - Noon; 1pm - 5pm|
|Wed-Mar 25||1pm - 5pm|
|Thur-Mar 26||Advising by Appointment|
Advising by Appointment
Advising by Appointment
|Tues-Mar 31||Advising by Appointment|
|Wed-April 1||Advising by Appointment|
|Thur-April 2||Advising by Appointment|
9am - 1pm
|Mon-April 6||9am - Noon; 1pm - 5pm|
**Therapeutic Massage begins a new cycle in Fall 2015. Come in now to be sure you have the pre-requisites to begin this program!
Patrick Henry Community College Associate Degree Nursing Program is approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing 9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300 Henrico, VA 23233; (404) 975--5000.
Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3342 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850 Atlanta, Georgia 30326
NURSING & EMS APPLICATION PERIODS
Admission to core nursing classes and the EMS-Paramedic is by application. Applications are accepted during the published application times ONLY. See below for more information.
- EMS/Paramedic - The next application period for the EMS Program is March 6 - May 15, 2015. You can download the application HERE or copies are available in the EMS office: Philpott room 126. For information about the application process or for questions about the application, please contact Kari Whitney, EMS Program Director Office: (276)656-0328 Fax: (276)656-0261
- RN - The Spring semester application period is now closed. The next application period will be in Fall semester 2015 for the class that will begin in January 2016. Reminder: There is no waiting list - applicants who were not accepted during the last application period will need to re-apply if they are still interested.
- LPN - RN Transition The next application period for LPN's interested in applying to the RN program will be October 2015 for the class that will begin in January 2016. Interested LPN's need to have completed the pre-requisites for the RN program at the time of application & have the following general education courses completed prior to starting the program in January 2016: ENG 111, BIO 231, PSY 230, & SDV 108. Please contact the nursing office for more information.
- LPN - The application period for admission to the Practical Nursing program that will begin in August 2015 is now closed. The next applicaiton period for the class that will begin in January 2017 is scheduled for October 2016.
It is very important for all students who are interested in a Nursing, EMS, or a Health Science Career to see one of our advisors for assistance in planning their academic course sequence each semester.
Prior to coming in for advising, please follow the steps listed below:
Apply to be a student @ PHCC - free and on-line* (*If not currently enrolled)
Take the College Placement Test* (*If a student has not had previous college level math and/or english)
Have official transcripts from any college attended (including all VCCS schools other than PHCC) sent to the Office of Admissions & Records located in the Walker Building
If interested in applying for financial aid, students will need to contact the Financial Aid Office .
Students interested in the RN or the LPN program should bring a copy of their High School transcript with them when they meet with an advisor.
Pre-Admission Testing Practice
- Practical Nursing (LPN) Optional Pre-Admission TEAS test book ISBN #1933107-00-6
A copy is on closed reserve in the LRC or visit the TEAS web page: PN Testing link
- Registered Nursing (RN) Optional Pre-Admission HESI
Admission Review Book 3rd Edition ISBN #978-1455703333 A copy is on closed reserve in
the LRC or visit the HESI web page: RN Testing link A free HESI APP is also available for download
NCLEX-RN & NCLEX-PN Pass Rates are calculated based on the graduate's first testing attempt & reflect the previous semester enrollment.
Health Science Information Links
Transition LPN to RN Advising Spreadsheet
Therapeutic Massage The core massage classes are taught in a 3 semester sequence. The new cycle will begin Fall semester 2015.
Online Resources for Career Information: these websites include information about many different career fields.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Explore Health Careers
- Diving Into Health Careers
- My Next Move
- Sloan Career Cornerstone Center
- America’s Career InfoNet
Generally, you can expect the web content maintained by reputable professional organizations to be reliable. Weddle’s Professional Association Directory provides links to professional associations organized by industry and career field. Professional association websites usually have a career information section or resources for students.