Patrick Henry Community College is a two-year comprehensive community college dedicated to the belief that all persons should have equal opportunity to develop and expand their skills and knowledge. Consistent with this philosophy, and in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, we encourage persons with disabilities to fully utilize the programs and services of PHCC. The college strives to maintain a barrier-free environment and will provide appropriate support services when necessary to ensure access to our programs.
Mission Statement for Serving Students with disAbilities
To support the educational pursuits of persons with disAbilities in our service area, it is the mission of Patrick Henry Community College to:
1) disseminate information to increase awareness of services available to persons with disabilities,
2) assist with the matriculation of persons with disabilities into the college environment,
3) develop and implement disability-related support services which promote the educational and personal development of persons with disabilities by networking with campus- and community-based resources, and
4) assist with the successful integration of persons with disabilities into continued educational activities and/or the world of work.
Who Is Eligible
You are eligible for disAbility Services if you have a documented physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.
To qualify for disability services, you must provide clear and specific evidence that
1) a qualified professional has established a formal diagnosis of a disability, or
2) you have a history of a disability, or 3) have a history of being regarded as having a disability.
What Services Are Available
The accommodations available to you will depend on the nature of your disability and will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the disAbility Counselor. Accommodations include but are not limited to: sign language interpreters, note takers, assistive technology equipment and classroom accommodations, including alternate testing. For more information about PHCC’s services, review the Accommodations and Services Available and Assistive Technology Available on the Information For Students page.
Handicapped parking spaces are available at each building on campus. Students must have a handicapped license place or handicapped parking permit issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to park in a handicapped parking space.
How to Access Services
You must contact the disAbility Counselor to schedule an appointment as soon as possible before the start of your first semester. Bring all documentation of your disability to that appointment (See Guidelines for Documenting a Disability). During the visit, the disAbility Counselor will review your documentation and determine which services and accommodations are appropriate for you and begin the process for providing them.
Patrick Henry Community College makes every effort to accommodate individuals with disabilities for all programs, services, and activities available to the public. If you have a disability or other need for reasonable accommodation in order to successfully complete the requirements of this course, please contact the 504/ADA Coordinator (Learning Resource Center #109D, 276-656-0257 or 800-232-7997 ext. 0257, ) to discuss this matter confidentially.