Patrick Henry is a two-year, non-residential, commuter college. We welcome applications from qualified international students who meet our academic, financial, and language requirements.
- The College is served by public transportation around the Martinsville/Henry County area. Students can access the PART Bus schedule online or pick up a copy at the Walker Fine Arts Admissions Office.
- The College does not operate dormitories, nor does it assume responsibility for locating and securing adequate housing for students.
- International students are classified as out-of-state students for tuition payment purposes.
- Financial Aid is not available to international students.
- Tuition payment plans are not available.
- College policies and procedures apply equally to all students regardless of immigration status.
Admission Requirements for International Students
Before we are able to process a request for admission to the college and issue a form I-20 for the F-1 Visa, the following documents must be submitted 60 days prior to the beginning of the semester in which you wish to enroll:
- Completed PHCC Application Form (either online or paper application).
- The equivalent of an American high school diploma. Official records of all secondary-school studies and all studies beyond secondary-school level must be submitted in the native language with official English translations from a U.S.- based credential evaluation service. The following are examples of services that may be used.
- Official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores, with a minimum score of 550 paper-based or a minimum score of 213 computer-based or a minimum score of 83 internet-based as requirements. Please request that your official scores be sent directly to Patrick Henry Community College. Our CEEB code is 003751. Testing may not be more than two years old. For more information contact: http://www.ets.org/toefl. If you have completed high school within the United States, you may be able to petition that the test score requirement could be waived.
- Verification of financial support sufficient to enroll as a full-time student without the need to work off campus. We require the minimum amount of $31,150 for a single international student per two academic years. This does not include transportation costs. (Please complete the Declaration/Certification of Finances From and return along with all appropriate verifying documents). This information needs to be in English and $US.
- Health Insurance coverage: Health care is very expensive in the United States. Patrick Henry Community College requires that all international students purchase a health insurance policy.
- A doctor’s statement certifying that you are in good health and giving details of any physical or mental limitations that PHCC will need to consider in meeting your needs.
- An official transcript from your current college or university (if applicable).
- A brief written statement explaining why you want to study at Patrick Henry Community College.
- A photocopy of your passport ID page.
International students who receive a form I-20 must:
- Complete the College’s assessment tests for English and mathematics (COMPASS Test).
- Register for and complete with a satisfactory grade at least 12 credit hours for each semester (with no more than one class being web based).
- Be accepted and enrolled into a transfer program of study at the college.
- File a copy of Passport and I-94 Card with expiration date, (if applicable) with the Admissions and Records Office.
- Must have PHCC’s Designated School Official (DSO) sign your form I-20 two weeks in advance of travelling outside the United States. Student must be in good standing. This must be completed to allow reentry.
International Student Application Packet Information & Forms
PDF forms below require Adobe Acrobat Reader (http://get.adobe.com/reader/)
- Prospective International Student Letter
- Checklist for F-1 Students
- F-1 Process Flowchart
- Nonimmigrants: Who can study? http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/Nonimmigrant%20Class%20Who%20Can%20Study.pdf
- Application for admission (https://apply.vccs.edu/oa/launch.actionfor online or via paper application at http://www.patrickhenry.edu/documents/newstudent/PHCCApplication.doc)
- Financial Information for International Students Form
- Maintaining F-1 Status Form
- Release of Confidential Documents Form
- Supplemental Form for I-20 Application
- Transfer Clearance Report (Students transferring from another U.S. college or university will need to complete the top portion of the Transfer Clearance Report and give it to the DSO at your current institution for completion and forwarding to PHCC).
U.S. Department of Homeland Security Forms
- I-901 Fee Remittance for Certain F, J and M nonimmigrants (http://www.lru.edu/UserFiles/Documents/ISS/I-901%20Application.pdf)
- Form I-134, Affidavit of Support (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134.pdf)
- Instructions for I-134, Affidavit of Support (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf)
Off-campus employment is available only through direct and specific permission of the USCIS. Students are not eligible to apply for these off-campus employment opportunities until they have been enrolled at least one academic year. F-1 students may be eligible to apply for employment authorization as follows:
- Employment Authorization based on Economic Hardship
- Curricular Practical Training (must receive academic credit for the experience)
- Optional Practical Training (must apply for OPT prior to completion of program)
Mailing Address for Application Documents:
Office of Admissions
Patrick Henry Community College
645 Patriot Ave.
Martinsville, VA 24112
Contact Information for International Students:
Dr. Kathleen Brown, DSO
Assistant Athletic Director/Coordinator for International Students
CEEB Code: 003751