The Virginia Placement Test is used to place students into appropriate writing and mathematics courses.
VPT Testing Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Main Campus - Walker 228.
Patrick County Site - Call (276) 694-8778 or email to make arrangements.
- Your PHCC Student ID # (EMPLID)
- A valid government issued photo I.D. (DMV issued license, learner's permit, photo ID, Passport, or Military ID)
- No appointment required. Tests are administered on a first-come-first-served walk-in basis. Seating is limited.
- There is no fee to take the test.
- The test is untimed, but it takes an average of two hours to complete each of the two portions. You may not take both portions of the test (math and English) on the same day.
- If you need accommodations for the placement test due to a disability or other circumstance, please contact DisAbility Resources at (276) 656-0257 or .
- An application for admission MUST be on file in the Admissions Office prior to taking the placement test.
PHCC will accept the following SAT scores in lieu of the VPT.
- English (Reading/Writing) – 560 (combined score)
Math – 550
* These scores apply to tests taken after March 2016
- Critical Reading/Writing – 500 (Student must have a 500 in BOTH portions)
Math – 520
* Taken before March 2016
All test scores are only good for two years from the date of the test.