You must plan to be a PHCC student in order to take the placement test, we DO NOT allow students to take the placement test who do not plan to enroll at PHCC.
An application for admission MUST be on file in the Admissions Office prior to taking the placement test.
- Bring your PHCC Student ID # (EMPLID)… required to take the test.
- Due to new testing guidelines, a VALID Government issued Photo I.D. must be presented at time of test. ( DMV issued License, Learners Permit, or Photo ID, Passport, or Military ID)
- No appointment required. Tests are administered on a first-come first-served walk-in basis. Early arrival is advised, as seating is limited and tests do fill up.
- There is no fee to take the placement test.
- The test is untimed, but generally it takes an average of two hours to complete each portion of the test.
A planned assessment program acquaints students with a general knowledge of their academic strengths and weaknesses. Students entering any degree, diploma, or certificate program are required to take the college placement test and are encouraged to do this as early as possible.
Students must take these tests before enrolling in many courses such as mathematics, English, accounting, psychology, sociology, history, many computer classes, economics, biology courses, etc. Tests are administered in the Integrated Advising, Testing, and Career Center and at off-campus locations.
Test results are carefully interpreted and discussed with each student and are used only for counselling and placement and do not affect college admission. Students who need developmental work to obtain appropriate skills and competencies will be advised of the requirements and availability of these courses. If you are a student with special needs, please contact Scott Guebert at in Student Support Services
Walk-in testing is available in the Testing Center in the LRC (Learning Resource Center - Library) daily. Also, scheduled testing dates are listed on the scrolling calendar on the homepage.
The Placement Test is a comprehensive, computer-adaptive testing system that helps place students into appropriate courses and maximizes the information postsecondary schools need to ensure student success. This test offers placement in writing and mathematics. This allows us to better assist students in the areas of advising, course placement, and retention services.
Placement testing is also available at our Patick County Site!
For more information, please contact:
Patrick County Site (276) 694-8778 or email