Patrick Henry Community College - Official Site

Print Friendly Email This

Site Cat Menu

The Virginia Placement Test (VPT) is used to place students into appropriate writing and mathematics courses.

VPT Testing Hours

Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. 

Required Materials

  • Your PHCC Student ID # (EMPLID)
  • A valid government issued photo I.D. (DMV issued license, learner's permit, photo ID, Passport, or Military ID)

Other Information

  • No appointment required. Tests are administered on a first-come-first-served walk-in basis. Seating is limited.
  • There is no fee to take the test.
  • The test is untimed, but it takes an average of two hours to complete each of the two portions. You may not take both portions of the test (math and English) on the same day.
  • If you need accommodations for the placement test due to a disability or other circumstance, please contact DisAbility Resources at (276) 656-0257 or .
  • An application for admission must be on file in the Admissions Office prior to taking the placement test.

SAT/ACT Score Requirements

PHCC accepts the following SAT or ACT scores in lieu of a student needing to take the VPT if the test was taken within the last two years.

SAT score requirements if taken after March 2016

  • Writing/Language – 560 combined score
  • Math – 550

SAT score requirements if taken before March 2016

  • Critical Reading - 500
  • Writing – 500
  • Math – 520

ACT score requirements

  • Math - 22
  • Reading/Writing - 18

Main Campus: Walker Hall 228 | 276-656-5481 or 276-656-0311

Patrick County Site: 276-694-8778 |


Associate Degree Programs: PHCC awards associate degrees in arts and sciences and in applied science. Associate of Arts and Science (AA&S) degrees provide the first two years of instruction in major fields that prepare students for transfer to colleges and universities to complete baccalaureate degrees. Students are encouraged to investigate the requirements of the institution to which transfer is anticipated. Associate of Applied Science degrees (AAS) provide knowledge and skills leading to employment in specialized fields.

Certificate Programs: Certificate programs (CERT) are less than two years in length with a major in an occupational area; career studies certificates (CSC) require less than a full year of study in an occupational area. Certificate programs differ from associate degree programs because they are presented at a different educational level and are developed in response to employment needs identified by local curriculum advisory committees. Several of these programs are offered on a parttime, day or night basis for students who are already employed.

Career Studies Certificate Programs: Many students seek postsecondary career programs of study that are less than the conventional one-or two-year programs. The Career Studies Certificate (CSC) program is a response to the needs of many adults within PHCC’s service region and is intended to represent the minimum amount of college course work needed in these fields of study. Each of the program options is designed as a distinct “mini-curriculum” within a broader range of adult educational possibilities. Career Studies Certificates vary in length and normally amount to the minimum equivalent of one semester of full-time community college work and not more than the equivalent of a year (9-29) credits.

Admission Requirements: Unless special admission requirements are noted under program information, students must meet the general admission requirements established by the college. Students who are not college ready in English or mathematics may be required to complete appropriate developmental education courses.

Other Information: Students planning ahead for transfer curriculums will find it most helpful to have completed college preparatory curriculum courses in high school in areas such as English, mathematics (two units of algebra and one of plane geometry), laboratory science, social studies, and foreign language.

Transfer Information: Any student who plans to transfer should become familiar with the requirements of the major department in the college or university to which the student is considering transfer and also consult the assigned academic advisor before planning a program of study. In order to prepare for junior class standing at a four-year college or university, the student must complete a program that is comparable in length and course content to the first two years of the program at the four-year institution.

Advisors have access to transfer guides from many institutions to assist in selection of courses. Every institution has unique requirements, so the student should investigate the programs of each institution under consideration for transfer. Students should be particularly careful to select electives that correspond to requirements of the transfer institution.

Curriculum Requirements: Students must successfully complete all of the requirements (general education and program requirements) listed under the program information to be awarded the specified credential (associate degree, certificate, or career studies certificate) for that program.

Advising Sheet Suggested Schedules: Courses in advising sheets are displayed under the semester in which the courses are regularly offered. It is possible that a course shown on the schedule for a particular semester may not be offered due to low enrollment or other factors.

Awarding of Degrees and Credentials: Students intending to receive a degree, diploma, certificate, or career studies certificate should submit an “Application to Graduate” to the Registrar’s office. Degrees and credentials may be automatically awarded to students who successfully meet the requirements for a credential, award, or degree. An award opt out form is available in the Office of the Registrar for students who do not want the award assigned to their academic record.

Graduation Requirements: In order to meet Patrick Henry Community College graduation requirements, all associatesdegree students must complete Virginia Community College Core Competency testing. Testing is an ongoing process and will be primarily administered during the capstone course (or other designated course) associated with a given degree. Please see the program advisor to determine and schedule appropriate times to complete Core Competency testing.

Transferring to PHCC

Center for New Students | 276-656-0311 | Walker Fine Arts/Student Center - Room 228

Credits from similarly accredited institutions are usually accepted. Credits earned at institutions not accredited can be evaluated for possible transfer based on information such as course content, texts, evaluation methods, and faculty credentials. Students must submit an official transcript from previous institutions for evaluation. No credit is given for courses with grades lower than a ”C.” 

Students with educational credentials from foreign countries must have a credit evaluation provided to the admissions office from a college-approved foreign credential evaluation service. 


Transferring from PHCC

Jennifer Hollyfield | 276-656-0306 |  | LRC - Room 109B

Many Virginia colleges and universities have articulation agreements which guarantees admission for graduates from PHCC or another Virginia community college with an associate degree and a minimum grade point average. To learn more, visit the student section on the Virginia Community College System website. Students planning to transfer from PHCC should work with their PHCC academic advisor to create a seamless transition to the four-year school of their choice.

The Virginia Education Wizard helps students explore careers, find college majors that match career interests, estimate and compare college costs, find and apply for financial aid and scholarships, and plan their transfer from community colleges to four‐year institutions.

Students wishing to transfer to a school that does not have an articulation agreement or before earning an associate degree should visit the specific institutions website and view their Transfer Guide to compare courses taken at the community college to those which are given credit at the receiving institutions. These guides are updated frequently by the 4-year schools, and should be referred to often to verify the accuracy and equivalencies of a particular course. 

Several trips are planned for students to tour campuses throughout the year, typically in October and April. 

Always speak with an academic advisor before registering. If you do not meet with an advisor first, you risk registering for an incorrect class and/or being charged for classes not covered by financial aid. After meeting with an academic advisor, follow the instructions below:


Login to "myPHCC LOGIN" (located at the top of the home page)

Click "VCCS SIS:Student Information System"

Search for a Class...

  1.  Self Service -> Enrollment -> Class Search/Browse Catalog
  2.  Select the Institution and Term that you want to search for classes
  3.  Select Go
  4. Enter the course prefix in the Course Subject box and the course number ( i.e. ENG 111) and Search

Add Classes

  1. Self Service ->Enrollment ->Enrollment: Add Classes
  2. Enter the class number (example 22079) or Search for Class to view the Schedule of Classes.
  3. After entering all class numbers, proceed to Steps 2 of 3
  4. Check the classes that you entered and if correct Finish Enrolling
  5. View results of all classes added; a green check indicates you successfully enrolled, a red "X" indicates you are unable to add this class.

Drop Classes

  1. Self Service -> Enrollment: Drop Classes
  2. Select the classes that you wish to drop.
  3. Select Drop Selected Classes
  4. Confirm your selection and then Finish Dropping
  5. View your results and then view My Class Schedule, you may also print your schedule
  6. If you drop a class after the last day to withdraw, the grade automatically becomes an "F"
  7. If you drop a class after the last date to add but before the last day to withdraw, you receive a "W"
  8. Be sure to verify whether your grade is "W" or "F" and refer questions to the Registrar's Office

Make a Credit Card Payment

  1. Self Service -> Student Center
  2. If unable to see your account balance, under the Personal Information section select User Preferences from the Student Center page, select Patrick Henry Community College and SAVE

To make a payment: select Make a Payment

  How to use QuikPay

Need help?  Watch these short videos to learn more!


Students and alumni can create account profiles at College Central to:

College Central Job Opportunities

  • Search full-time, part-time, and internship opportunities.
  • Create and upload a resume and career portfolio for employers.
  • Access event announcements, career advice documents, podcasts, videos, and articles.

The Virginia Education Wizard provides an online career interest inventory to help users identify interests, abilities, values, likes and dislikes, and personality strengths and traits. Users can also learn about:

  • Pursuing education through the Virginia Community College System
  • Potential careers
  • Job forecasts
  • Job descriptions
  • Salary information
  • Financial aid and paying for college
  • Transferring to a four year institution

CareerScope is an assessment program that measures aptitude and interests through a variety of tasks. Results are compiled into an Individual Profile Analysis (IPA) to identify the most significant interest area preferences.

Choosing a satisfying career is often difficult and confusing. Students and alumni can contact Cory Werkheiser for assistance.

Cory Werkheiser | 276- 656-5483 |  |  Frith Hall - Room 118