Listed below are scholarships, some through outside agencies and are not restricted to PHCC students. Please review this list often whether you attend here or plan to transfer. This listing is updated as scholarships are made known to the Financial Aid office.
College scholarships for minority students - Multiple types of scholarships are available.
- Critical Language Scholarship - a fully-funded overseas language and cultural immersion program. Choose to study one of 14 critical languages (language knowledge requirements differ by program). Applications are due by Nov 16
Digital Marketing Scholarship for Fall2016 - For high school seniors and college undergraduate students majoring (or plans to major) in a field related to digital marketing. Must plan to take at least 10 credit hours during the fall 2016 semester Deadline: June 15, 2016
Foundation for Roanoke Valley: several scholarships
Goedekers College Scholarship: awarding a grand prize of $500 and two honorable mentions for $100; This scholarship will be offered nationwide. Scholarship is available to all students (Undergraduate and Graduate) and available to all fields of study.
Health Focus of Southwest Virginia Scholarship Program: Your GPA must be 2.75 or better before being considered. You MUST be accepted into a medical program before you are eligible for a scholarship. Application and materials for the Health Focus Scholarship.
Hughes Memorial Foundation: awards Scholarships to individuals for higher education or job training with preference being given to needy and/or disadvantaged children living in the Virginia counties of Pittsylvania, Halifax, Mecklenburg, Charlotte, Campbell, Bedford, Franklin, Henry and Patrick. Applications are accepted in the spring with a deadline of April 1st and September 1st. The application and ALL required supporting documentation must be submitted by the deadline to be considered.
- J.T.- Minnie Maude Charitable Trust
- Jack Kent Cooke Foundation - The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation invites applications for its Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship, the largest private scholarship in the country for community college transfer students. As many as 85 students from a nationwide applicant pool will receive up to $40,000 per year for up to three years of study at any four-year accredited college or university of their choosing.
- Langley Aerospace research Summer Scholars Program (LARSS) (http://www.nianet.org/larss/)
- Rosana Anderon Scholarship (NABCJ/Western Virginia Chapter). Deadline to apply is July 1, 2016. Amount is for $500.00 and is non-renewable. Applicants must be enrolled in a college or university and majoring in Criminal Justice or related studies and must submit a copy of their official college transcript. Freshmen must provide verification of enrollment for calendar year 2016-2017.
- NURSE Corps Scholarship Program receive funding for tuition, fees and other educational costs in exchange for working at an eligible NURSE Corps site upon graduation.
- Nursing Scholarships through the Dept. of Health - Open to Virginia residents enrolled full- or part-time in the appropriate educational program. Some scholarships based on GPA and financial need. Deadline is June 30
- The Senior Planning Social Work & Eldercare Award is a scholarship is for undergraduates who can demonstrate a commitment to the community in regard to healthcare and social assistance and are working toward a degree in social work.
- Staver Law Group national Scholarship - Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, accepted or currently enrolled, and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Amount is $5,000. The deadline is Deadline: December 1, 2016. Applicants should demonstrate good character and strong motivation despite challenges.
- Student Scholarships: several scholarships listed on this site.
- The Veterans United Foundation’s primary goal is to assist military service members and their families by awarding five bi-annual $2,000 scholarships to help pay tuition and books. To be eligible, the applicant must be a current active-duty service member, a veteran, spouse or child of a veteran/military member, or a surviving spouse/child. Applicants must display financial need and maintain a 2.5 cumulative grade point average. Deadlines are March 15 –Spring scholarships and September 15 –Fall scholarships to initiate the application process. For details go to http://www.enhancelives.com/.
- The Veterans of Foreign Wars: Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship offers up to $5,000 to retired, honorably discharged, active duty, or a member of the National Guard or Reserve. (See application for additional criteria). Applications for the fall semester are accepted Jan 1 - April 30. Spring semester applications accepted Aug 1 - Nov 15.
- Virginia Foundation for Community College Education recognizes outstanding students of all ages and backgrounds through its statewide scholarship program. Visit their website. VFCCE scholarship information is also posted on the Virginia Education Wizard.
- The Virginia Space Grant Consortium (VSGC) offers internship opportunities. Application deadlines vary. Check their website for internships available.
- Insider Scholarship is offering five $1,000 scholarships for the 2015-2016 academic year to high school seniors and students attending an accredited college for the upcoming year. Download the application here.
- Martinsville Area Community Foundation is one of the largest providers of educational scholarships in this region. Each year, MACF awards more than $200,000 in scholarship funds to deserving students from Martinsville and the surrounding area.
- Program Guidance for all of the program requirements.
- The Andrew Flusche Scholarship Contest requires students to raise awareness about the problem of underage drinking. Applicants must create a public service advertisement video (PSA) which raises awareness of the severity of the consequences of drunk driving among your peers. Two winners are chosen each year, one per semester, and each winner receives $500. Find out more about the scholarship here.
Shorr Packaging Scholarship This essay is open to business students only. Submit your essay and any accompanying image files to with the subject line “Shorr Scholarship Entry.” Essays will be judged on thoughtfulness, creativity, and display of business knowledge and passion. Deadline is January 31, 2016. Click here for more details.
2015 Margaret Lewis Scholarship (Paralegal) requires applicants to be attending a legal assistant/paralegal program at an approved school in Virginia on a part-time or full-time basis, and have completed at least 12 semester hours in the program.The scholarship is for $1,000 with a deadline of April 30.
- Accredited Schools Online Scholarship Resource Guide includes an extensive list of scholarships and financial aid resources available specifically for minority students. The guide also includes tips for finding and securing scholarships and other financial aid.
- VFRW Political Studies Scholarship is open to undergraduate students enrolled in an accredited college in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The recipient must be a young woman and be studying government, political science or law. Scholarship is for $1000. Application must be received by March 4, 2016.
- Valley Proteins Fellows Program: Open to rising 2nd year students who demonstrate academic excellence and leadership potential. In addition to receiving up to $5,000 for tuition and books, Fellows participate in a unique leadership curriculum. Application due May 16