Patrick Henry Community College - Official Site

Print Friendly Email This

Site Map


Patrick Henry Community College encourages senior citizens to enroll in college classes. In order to do so, senior citizens must apply to the college and be admitted as all other students. Senior citizens must also complete the Senior Citizen Tuition Assistance Agreement form and submit it to the office of the Registrar.

Under the Virginia Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974- as amended, anyone who is 60 years of age or older, who is a legal domiciliary of Virginia, and whose Virginia taxable income does not exceed $23,850 is eligible to enroll in credit courses for academic credit at the college.

Senior citizens may also register for and audit courses offered for academic credit, or for courses not offered for academic credit.

Senior citizens pay no tuition but are responsible for service fees, course materials and laboratory fees.

Senior citizens registering under the provisions of this act may register on a space available basis contingent upon a minimum of twelve (12) paying students registering for the course except when the senior citizen has completed 75 percent of their degree requirements at Patrick Henry.

Unless contacted ahead of time by college staff or faculty, seniors should attend the first and subsequent class meetings until the final determination is made. If you have questions or concerns, please contact the office of the registrar at 276-656-0312.

Student is to retain this page for reference.


We are proud of your accomplishments. Attaining a degree or certificate takes much determination and dedication.

In order to successfully graduate and receive an Associate’s Degree, Certificate, or Career Studies Certificate at Patrick Henry Community College, a student must complete the following established graduation requirements:

  • Have been admitted to a curriculum; and
  • have fulfilled all of the course and credit hour requirements of the program as set forth in the college catalog; and
  • have acquired at least 25% of program requirements for an associate degree, diploma, and in specialized courses for a certificate through course completion at PHCC; and
  • have demonstrated computer competency skills as defined by the college; and
  • have been recommended for graduation by the appropriate instructional authority in the program of study; and
  • have earned a grade point average of at least 2.0 in all course attempted which are applicable toward graduation in the program of study; and
  • have filed an application for graduation through myPHCC Student Center by the established deadline; and
  • have resolved all financial obligations to the college and returned all library and other college materials

Please note: applications for graduation are accepted for a specific time frame each semester. These time frames allow the Office of the Registrar to evaluate and process credentials efficiently.

  • Summer Term: May 16th –July 31st
  • Fall Term: August 1st – Nov 1st
  • Spring Term: Nov 2nd – April 2nd

After graduation applications are received, the Registrar will mail a graduation evaluation to the student identifying all remaining requirements for completion of degree or certificate. 

Degrees and/or certificates will be available in the Office of the Registrar for pick up on specified dates listed on your graduation evaluation for each semester. Degrees and/or certificates that have not been picked up on these specified dates will be mailed to the address current in the students People Soft account.

Commencement:The Commencement Ceremony is held once a year in May for students who have completed an application for graduation and degree requirements by the commencement ceremony date. Students meeting these requirements will be e-mailed commencement exercise info via their VCCS student e-mail account by the end of March. It is imperative that you check your email account so that you may receive and turn in any additional required documentation for ceremony participation.

Ordering a Replacement Degree/Certificate
Diplomas will be reissued upon the graduate’s request provided the graduate does not have any outstanding debt to the college, in which case, no diplomas will be re-issued until the debt is fully satisfied.

There is a $10 fee associated with each replacement degree or certificate payable to the Business Office. If you wish to order a replacement degree, please print, complete and attach your receipt to the Replacement Degree Order Form and submit to the Office of the Registrar.

*Patrick Henry reserves the right to publicize the achievements of our graduates in local newspapers and publications.


Students may be eligible to graduate with multiple degrees and certificates if the content of the curricula differ from one another by at least 25%. Please contact the appropriate Division Dean or the Registrar with questions regarding the awarding of multiple degrees.

Students completing an Associate Degree or Certificate (excluding Career Studies) at PHCC will be eligible for honors as follows:

Cumulative GPA of 3.2 - cum laude
Cumulative GPA of 3.5 - magna cum laude
Cumulative GPA of 3.8 - summa cum laude

Graduation honors are reflected on the student's academic transcript and diploma.

Review the following checklist to see if you are ready to start the semester:

  1. _____Applied to PHCC? If you took dual enrollment classes, after you graduate from high school you only need to come to the Admissions Office in the Walker Fine Arts/Student Center to change your program of study. If you have never been a student at Patrick Henry Community College, submit your application as soon as you can. How to Apply.
  2. _____Received Empl ID? After your application is complete, you will be issued an Empl ID number. Look up your Empl ID number. Write down your Empl ID and e-mail address to keep with you at all times. You will need to know your Empl ID to take the Placement Test, register for classes, and access any of your personal academic information.
  3. _____Taken Placement Test? Results from The Placement Test(s) help PHCC counselors advise students and place them in appropriate courses more effectively. If you have taken the ASSET Test or COMPASS Test within the past two years, those test scores may be used in place of the Placement Test.
  4. _____Applied for financial aid? When you apply online using the FASFA you will receive your eligibility results back in two to four weeks.
  5. _____Met with your Advisor to schedule your classes? 
  6. _____Plan to take the  SDV 108 (College Survival Skills) during your first semester? This course is required of any degree, diploma or certificate program at the college.
  7. _____Pay for your courses on the day you register f you do not have financial aid in place. Payment for tuition must be made by the end of the business day. If you do not pay the day you sign up for classes and you do not have financial aid, your classes will be dropped and you will have to re-register for your classes.

Stop by the Admission and Student Services Office in the Walker Fine Arts/Student Center if you have questions or need further information. Our phone number is (276) 656-0325. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

By enrolling in a curriculum (program of study), you may earn an associate degree, certificate or career studies certificate from Patrick Henry Community College. You may also take classes without enrolling in a curriculum.

Associate Degree Programs: PHCC awards associate degrees in arts and sciences (AA&S) and in applied science (AAS).

  • Associate in Arts and Science degrees provide the first two years of instruction in major fields that prepare you for transfer to colleges and universities to complete a baccalaureate degree. If you plan to transfer, you should investigate that college's or university's requirements.
  • Associate in Applied Science degrees provide knowledge and skills leading to employment in specialized fields.

Diploma Programs: The college may offer two-year diploma programs designed to prepare the student for employment immediately after completion of the program.

Certificate Programs: Certificate programs are less than two years in length with a major in an occupational area; career studies certificates require less than a full year of study in an occupational area. Certificate programs differ from associate degree programs because they are presented at a different educational level and are developed in response to employment needs identified by local curriculum advisory committees. Several of these programs are offered on a part-time, day or night basis for students who are already employed.

Special Notes: You may be required to take developmental courses if your Placemet Test scores indicate you need to improve basic skills before taking college-level classes.

All students who plan to earn an associate degree, and students enrolled in certain certificate programs, are required to complete courses that teach computer competency.

Computer Competent Requirement: PHCC believes that all students should experience a teaching-learning environment that espouses computer and information literacy in accessing electronic resources and applying knowledge through technology. PHCC endorses the principle of computer competency for all students intent on completing a curriculum in excess of 45 semester credits. A computer competent student will be able to:

1. demonstrate a working knowledge of computing concepts, components, and operations to accomplish educational and career tasks.
2. use appropriate components of an integrated productivity software package involving word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, and communication applications.
3. access, retrieve, assess, and apply networked information resources (e.g., on-line catalogs, virtual libraries, the internet and world wide web).
4. use telecommunication software (e.g., electronic mail, listservs, bulletin boards, and newsgroups) to communicate with faculty, students and information providers.

In accordance with the Family Rights & Privacy Act of 1974, a student’s academic record can only be released upon written authorization by the student. By law, the request must include the student’s signature and date.


  • All transcript orders are processed within 1-2 business days. During peak times (such as the end of each semester and graduation), this time will most likely be extended.
  • Please be aware that our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Request made over the weekend will not be processed until the following Monday.
  • PHCC does not impose a fee to mail a transcript.
  • Official transcripts will be released only when the student has met all of their financial obligations to the college.

 Transcripts can be requested using the following methods:

Official Transcripts

Option 1 (preferred): Request and have your transcripts sent “electronically” by visiting Parchment - fastest & most secure method with processing times of 24 hours ($3.00 fee payable on site)

Option 2: Request your transcript through your student account. Log in, click SIS: student information system link, click Academic Records, click Request official transcript.  Allow 1-2 days for processing and mailing.

Option 3: Request your official transcript by completing the transcript request form. Print and complete the form, then mail or fax to the Transcripts Office. Allow 1- 2 business days for processing and mailing.

Option 4: Request your official transcript in person. The transcript office is located in the Walker Fine Arts building, room 235. Please call 276-656-0225 if you plan to use this option.

Unofficial Transcripts

The Records Office strongly encourages students who have attended within the last three years to print their own unofficial transcripts through their Student Service Center. Students who have not attended in the last three year should use the transcript request form.

Due to the magnitude of transcript requests received, the Records Office does not provide notification when transcripts are processed. However, Option 1 provides email notifications once transcripts have been processed, available for download and received if an email was provided during initial account set-up.

For additional questions or concerns in reference to transcripts, please contact Vickie Riddle in the Transcript Office at 276-656-0225 or .